We have added Monday shows at 7pm. Because these are commercial shows, they cost a bit more. The price of Monday night tickets is $4 for adults, $2 for kids 12 & under.
Tickets for the student productions on Friday night are $3 for adults, $2 for kids 12 & under.
The Royden G. Derrick planetarium at BYU was completed in March of 2005, and upgraded in Aug. 2010. The facility is located on the 4th floor of the Eyring Science Center on campus and is used primarily for holding university classes. However, we also provide outreach shows for community groups and weekend shows for the general public. See the calendar for details.
The Monday night shows are professional presentations.
The Friday night shows for the public are given by the BYU Astronomical Society during Fall, Winter, and Spring semeters. There are no Monday and Friday night shows during Summer Term. Tickets go on sale at the planetarium door on the 4th floor of the ESC starting at 6:30 PM and are $3 for adults, on Friday and $4 for adults on Mondays. Reservations are not taken for the shows. For more information about these shows see the calendar.
Be on time. Shows start promptly on time and for saftey reasons we cannot let people in late.
Outreach for children and youth groups
As a service to the community, the BYU Planetarium provides a few outreach shows for school groups, scout groups, youth groups, etc. for a discounted rate of $1 per person. These shows are given at regularly scheduled times. Please see our schedule for available show times. You can request a reservation by clicking on the time you want. The outreach shows are given by reservation only. You do not have a reservation until you have received an email confirmation. You should request reservations at least a week in advance to ensure that your show time will be available. Groups of adults wanting to reserve children's show times should contact us about rates.
- When? See our schedule. Be on time; once the show starts you can't come in.
- Where? Room N465 in the Eyring Science Center. See our map.
- Cost? $1 per child for outreach shows, $3 for Friday night shows, $4 for Monday shows. Cash or check.
- What are outreach shows? These are shows designed for children's programs and targeted towards school and scout educational objectives. Because the planetarium doesn't travel, you still have to come to us.
- How can I pay? We can take cash or check. We can take cards only on Monday and Friday nights.
- Who can come? The planetarium shows are given with the theatre lights off, so please do not bring children too young to enjoy the shows. We have separate shows specifically for older preschoolers during the day about once a month.
- How many people qualify as a group? You need to have 20 people to reserve an unscheduled outreach show. Smaller groups, including homeschool families, can request seats in shows that are already scheduled.
- How do I reserve a show? There are no reservations for Monday or Friday nights. For outreach shows, click on the time on the schedule.
If you have a special request, you can fill out an online form; or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Small groups: We do not do shows for groups of less than 20 people, but if you have a group of less than 20 people you can request to be put on a list of small groups that would like a combined show.
- Different times: The planetarium is extensively used for classes. However, we can sometimes accommodate requests for different times if you fill out the request form.
The best way to contact us regarding shows is through an online form. You can also email us at email@example.com. Please include your name; daytime phone number or email address; the type, age, and number of your group; and make sure to include your preferred day of the week and time for the show if you elect to email us.
If there is an emergency or last minute change of plans, please contact the department office at (801)422-4361 or the planetarium director at (801)422-3849. To avoid double booking, scheduling is only done through our online system or email.