The Royden G. Derrick planetarium at BYU was completed in March of 2005, and upgraded in Aug. 2010. The facility is located on the 4th floor of the Eyring Science Center on campus and is used primarily for holding university classes. However, we also provide outreach shows for community groups and weekend shows for the general public. See the calendar for details.
The Friday night shows for the public are given by the BYU Astronomical Society during Fall, Winter, and Spring semeters. There are no Friday night shows during Summer Term. Tickets go on sale at the planetarium door on the 4th floor of the ESC starting at 6:30 PM on Friday night and are $2 each, cash or check only. Reservations are not taken for the Friday night shows. For more information about these shows see the calendar. There is often more detail the BYU Astronomical Society website.
Outreach for children and youth groups
As a service to the community, the BYU Planetarium provides a few outreach shows for school groups, scout groups, youth groups, etc. for a discounted rate of $1 per person. These shows are given at regularly scheduled times. Please see our schedule for available show times. You can request a reservation by clicking on the time you want. The outreach shows are given by reservation only. You do not have a reservation until you have received an email confirmation. You should request reservations at least a week in advance to ensure that your show time will be available.
- When? see our schedule.
- Where? see our map.
- Cost? $1 per child for outreach shows, $2 for Friday night shows.
- What are outreach shows? These are shows designed for children and targeted towards school/scout educational objectives. Because the planetarium doesn't travel, you still have to come to us.
- How can I pay? We can take cash or check. We do NOT take cards.
- Who can come? The planetarium shows are given with the theatre lights off, so please do not bring children too young to enjoy the shows. We have separate shows specifically for older preschoolers during the day about once a month.
- How many people qualify as a group? You need to have 20 people to reserve an unscheduled outreach show. Smaller groups, including homeschool families, can request seats in shows that are already scheduled.
- How do I reserve a show? There are no reservations for Friday nights. For outreach shows, click on the time on the schedule.
If you have a special request, you can fill out an online form; or leave us a message on voicemail at (801) 422-5396. Please include your name; daytime phone number or email address; the type, age, and number of your group; and preferred day of the week and time for the show if you elect to leave a voicemail message.
- Small groups: We do not do shows for groups of less than 20 people, but if you have a group of less than 20 people you can request to be put on a list of small groups that would like a combined show.
- Different times: The planetarium is extensively used for classes. However, we can sometimes accommodate requests for different times if you fill out the request form.
The best way to contact us regarding shows is through an online form. Please include your name; daytime phone number or email address; the type, age, and number of your group; and preferred day of the week and time for the show if you elect to leave a voicemail message.
If there is an emergency or last minute change of plans, please contact the department office at (801)422-4361 or the planetarium director at (801)422-3849. To avoid double booking, scheduling is only done through our online system or voicemail.